Who Gets Grandma's Yellow Pie Plate?™ Workshop
Do you have a group of people who would benefit from knowing more about transferring non-titled property? Then the Who Gets Grandma’s Yellow Pie Plate?™ Workshop is for you!
University of Minnesota Extension Educators can deliver this workshop to your group. Whether you are an attorney, funeral home director, senior housing or nursing home administrator, estate sale or auction administrator, church director, or other community leader, we can help your participants deal with an issue that affects everyone — determining “who gets what.”
About the Workshop
This one-hour workshop will help participants learn the basics about transferring non-titled property. Through this workshop and the related workbook that they will receive as part of this training, participants will learn:
- The definitions of titled and non-titled property.
- Why decisions about all types of property are important.
- The unique challenges of non-titled property decisions making.
- Six key factors that affect decision-making about transferring personal property.
- Strategies to jumpstart conversations about inheritance.
- Resources that can help families improve decision making.
- Action steps to take now.
After participating in the workshop, participants are expected to take one or more of the following actions:
- Initiate conversations with family members about inheritance and personal possessions.
- Consider the consequences of “doing nothing.”
- Encourage aging parents to plan ahead for the transfer of personal possessions.
- Prepare a list of non-titled property and to whom the items should transfer.
- Prepare or update a will.
- Discuss different perceptions of “what’s fair” with others.
- Determine what objects are meaningful and why.
- Initiate family conversations about one or more of the six key decision making factors.
This workshop can be customized for your group and can be delivered in-person or online.
Schedule a Workshop Today!
For more information about this workshop or to schedule the Who Gets Grandma’s Yellow Pie Plate?™ Workshop for your group, Contact Financial Capability.
Intergenerational Land Transfer Workshop — This two part workshop gives families tools to start the land transfer process. Excellent resource for any woodland owner.
Financial Capability Educational Offerings — Find all the educational offerings that Financial Capability team members deliver throughout the state.