About Personal Finance
The Personal Finance website is a joint effort of the Family Resource Management team at the Extension Center for Family Development. We created this website with the hopes of creating a "one stop shop" for families, educators, and other family-serving professionals.
We use the term "personal finance" broadly to mean the financial resources that individuals and families use throughout their lives. Resources found throughout this website will help you (or the families you serve) to:
- Better manage the flow of money moving in and out of a household.
- Make wise decisions that will help reach personal goals and lead to a more secure financial future.
- Understand what it takes to be a good renter and secure housing that best meets family needs.
- Appreciate the interaction between culture and resources. Where (and how) one grew up does affect their views on money, education, housing, communication, and financial systems amongst everything else!
- Give time-sensitive tips for resource-related situations like talking to children about money, dealing with suddenly reduced income, distributing property of a loved one, dealing with the aftermath of a disaster, or deciding whether or not to take out the next loan.
In this partnership with Minnesota Council of Economic Education, Extension educators mentor community agencies.
This financial empowerment toolkit equips frontline staff with tools and skills to empower clients in understanding their own financial situations and connects them to resources available in their community.
This team of experienced educators are located through the state of Minnesota.