Youth Issues: Affluenza
Affluenza is an epidemic of stress, overwork, shopping, and debt caused by dogged pursuit of the American dream. Its influence is spreading and can be seen affecting decisions youth make regarding their day-to-day activities. The materials found on this page will help teachers lead a lesson on afflueza.
Are You Affected by Affluenza? (128 K PDF) — Take this short quiz to find out if you are affected by affluenza.
Presentation: Dealing with Affluenza — An Epidemic Sweeping the Nation
- Narrated Version — This presentation reviews what affluenza is, what leads people to experience affluenza, and how affluenza has crept into youth activities (like sports and prom).
- Un-narrated Version (800 K PDF) — The same presentation without the narration.
Activities: Spending on Sports
- Teacher Guide (259 K PDF) — This guides teachers through the Spending on Sports activities. Students look at real costs associated with participating in a sport or other school activity, sources of money they receive to pay for the activity, how many hours you'd have to work to pay for the activity, and trade-offs made to choose that activity.
- Student Worksheet (133 K PDF) — This guides students through the Spending on Sports activities where they will look at sources of money they receive to pay for an activity, how many hours you'd have to work to pay for the activity, and trade-offs made to choose that activity.
- Activity Spending Tracker (88 K PDF) — Guides students to look at the real costs associated with participating in a sport or other school activity.
Presentation Handout (472 K PDF) — A handout version of the presentation slides, with room for taking notes.
- Affluenza — KCTS Seattle — A television special, teachers guide, and related website that explores the high social and environmental costs of materialism and overconsumption.
- Jump$tart's Reality Check — Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy — This simple tool lets you figure how much your "Dream Life" is going to cost you. It also shows you what it would take to live the life you want and what you'll need to do, including the career you'd need to choose, to support your lifestyle.
- Prom Spending Plan (92 K PDF) — North Dakota State University Extension Service — This lesson helps student forecast expenditures, learn to save money, and plan spending by using prom spending as an example.
- Managing Your college Life: Your Money – Your Housing – Your Time
- Credit Strategies for College Students
- Spending Strategies for Going off to College
- The College Transition
- Money Quotes: Energizer of Get-Acquainted Activity (163 K PDF)
- Children and Money: Teaching Children Money Habits for Life (335 K PDF)
- Children and Money: Allowance and Alternatives (263 K PDF)