Free Tax Preparation
Rosemary K. Heins, Extension Educator — Family Resource Management
Reviewed December 2016 by Shawna Faith Thompson, Extension Educator — Family Capability, and Sharon Powell, Extension Educator — Family Resiliency.
English | español
Free tax preparation sites are open throughout the state of Minnesota in 2017 from February 1 – April 15 with limited help available year round. Free tax preparation is available for:
- Families earning $54,000 or less per year.
- Individuals or families who speak limited or no English.
- Individuals who are age 60 or older.
- Individuals who have a disability.
This service is free, accurate, and confidential, with e-filing and fast refunds. All volunteers are certified by the Internal Revenue Service to prepare your federal and state income and property tax returns.
Here are some ways that you can access free tax preparation services:
- Call the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Helpline at 651-296-3781 or 1-800-652-9094.
- If you are hearing impaired, call Minnesota Relay at 711 (TTY).
- Search online on the Minnesota Revenue's Free Tax Preparation Sites web page.
- Find out about the United Ways' MyFreeTaxes services.
To find out more about the process, watch this video by Claim it!: File Your Taxes for Free in MN.
What Should I Bring with Me to Have My Taxes Prepared? — Internal Revenue Service — Get a list of the records that most people need when filing their taxes. English | español | Lus Hmoob | Soomaali
Credits & Deductions — Internal Revenue Service — Find out about the available credits and deductions available for individual and business taxpayers.