Renter 101 Online Course
This is a free online course that helps you better navigate the rental process. Finding and keeping a home, rental or otherwise, is an important step in maintaining a stable home environment. You'll get an overview of the tools and strategies you need to secure housing.
Through this course you will ensure you become a responsible renter by learning:
- How to manage money resources wisely to pay rent on time every month.
- How to choose adequate, safe and affordable housing.
- How to communicate effectively.
- How to maintain a home.
- How to navigate the rental process — screening, lease agreements, security deposits and moving out.
This course is free and takes about an hour to complete. Upon completion, you will receive a certificate.
How do I get started?
You can gain immediate access to this course. For this course you will need the following:
- Access to the internet
- Adobe Reader (available as a free download)
- Adobe Flash Player, version 8.0 or newer (available as a free download)
- Internal or external speakers (audio scripts are available within the course as an alternative)
The course is free and does not require registration. You can access and return to the course as often as needed.
Looking for a take and teach lesson? The following lesson plan can be used with job clubs and other in-person gatherings. It helps reinforce the ideas of the course and gives participants the opportunity to apply what they have learned.
The materials in this online course were created and/or adapted by Lori Hendrickson, Extension Educator, with assistance from Research Assistants Dung Mao, Weiyang Xie, and Kristina Blasen. They were adapted from RentWise, a tenant education certificate program.
RentWise — A unique and practical program helps you (or the families you assist) be a successful renter.
Invest NOW: Money in Retirement Online Course — Online course that will give you the basic education you need to start investing for your future.