Parenting In the Age of Overindulgence Online Course
Are you a parent who is concerned about giving "too much" to your children? Are you interested in finding out how overindulgence affects families? Then the Parenting in the Age of Overindulgence Online Course is for you!
How to Prevent the "I Wants"
Join author and researcher Jean Illsley Clarke and the University of Minnesota Extension Overindulgence Team in an exploration of overindulgence and how you can avoid it with your children. Parents and caregivers overindulge children from a "good heart," but it doesn't help children (or families) in the long run. Minimizing overindulgence can improve family well-being and stability.
In this course, you will:
- Learn what overindulgence is.
- Use tools to identify and address overindulgence.
- See real examples of overindulgence in families just like yours and hear ideas for addressing these situations.
This course is for:
- Parents who are unsure what overindulgence is or families concerned they may be overindulging.
- Child care providers, teachers, caregivers, or other family members interacting with children.
- Professionals who work with parents and families regularly.
This course is free and takes about one hour to complete. After you finish the course and take the exit survey, you'll receive a certificate of completion, and printable PDFs of all tools in the course! See more About the Course.
How do I get started?
You can gain immediate access to this course. For this course, your computer will need the following:
- Access to the Internet
- Adobe Reader (available as a free download)
- Adobe Flash Player version 8.0 or newer (available as a free download)
- Internal or external speakers (audio scripts are available within the course as an alternative)
This course is free and does not require registration. You can access and return to the course as often as needed.Access the course now
If you have questions about this course, please contact Ellie M. McCann (email@example.com; 218-236-2001).
Other Recommended Resources
About the Course — Learn about the development and research behind Parenting In the Age of Overindulgence Online Course.
Overindulgence: The Test of Four — It's natural to want to protect your children from feeling discomfort. When we do so it can be done through overindulgence which is not healthy for the child or the parent. Learn about the Test of Four tool and how to recognize what is enough.
5 Tips for Parents to Avoid the Damaging Effects of Overindulgence — Jean Illsley Clarke discusses the concept of overindulgence while offering 5 tips on how to recognize it and what to do about it.
Overindulgence.info — Authors and researchers for the book How much is too much? provide further resources and insight on overindulgence today.