Wild or Brown Rice
Make your own brown and wild rice for a fraction of the cost. You can swap in brown and wild rice for almost any rice dish to increase the nutritional value.
Number of Servings: 6-8
Serving Size: 1/2 cup
1 cup wild rice
3 cups water
1 cup brown rice
2 1/2 cups water
Time needed: 3 minutes preparation; 30-50 minutes cook time
- Bring water to a rapid boil in a large saucepan. Add rice to the boiling water.
- Return water to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30-45 minutes until the rice kernels puff open.
- Uncover, fluff with a fork and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Drain off any remaining liquid.
- Put rice and water into a large saucepan. Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer without stirring for 45-50 minutes until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed.
|Wild Rice||Brown Rice|
|Total Fat:||0.3 g||0.3 g|
|Saturated Fat:||0 g||0 g|
|Cholesterol:||0 mg||0 mg|
|Sodium:||1.9 mg||0.3 mg|
|Total Carbohydrate:||19.9 g||7.6 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||1.7 g||0.6 g|
|Total Sugar:||0.7 g||0.1 g|
|Protein:||3.9 g||0.8 g|
Allergens: None noted
Tips and Variations
Use brown rice in place of white rice in most recipes for added nutrition.
Mix brown and white rice by cooking the brown rice for 20 minutes, then adding white rice and more water for another 20 minutes.
Cook extra wild rice to add to soups and casseroles. Cooked wild rice freezes well.
Hand-parched wild rice cooks in less time – about 15-20 minutes
A rice cooker is inexpensive and gives good results for all types of rice.
This recipe was developed by University of Minnesota Extension Center for Family Development staff.
Brown Rice With Sizzling Chicken and Vegetables — Cook yourself up a batch of this easy chicken and vegetable stir fry. It's a great way to use vegetables you have on hand or what is in season.
Chicken Wild Rice Hotdish — Let your kids experience the taste of real wild rice. This one-dish meal will quickly become a family favorite.
Vegetable Fried Rice — Fry up a batch of this easy-to-make fried rice in a jiffy. It's a great way to use up leftover rice.