Vegetable Soup with Chicken
Turn readily available vegetables into a hearty soup. This one pot soup can be prepared quickly for lunch or dinner.
Number of Servings: 6
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
3 cups water
3 ears corn, shucked
2 cups shelled peas
1 pound fresh carrots, peeled and diced
2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs (parsley, thyme, basil, etc.)
*Frozen or canned vegetables can be substituted for some or all of the fresh vegetables. See "Tips and Variations" for more information.
Time needed: 15 minutes preparation; 30 minutes cook time
- In a large pot, heat the chicken and water over medium to high heat until hot.
- Cut the kernels off the ears of corn.
- Add the corn kernels and all other ingredients to the pot and boil for 10 seconds.
- Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
|Total Fat:||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat:||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||47.6 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||9.7 g|
Tips and Variations
Frozen or canned vegetables can be substituted for some or all of the fresh vegetables. Here is the conversion:
- Corn: 2 cups frozen corn; or 1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn (low sodium)
- Peas: 2 cups frozen peas; or 1 15-ounce can peas (low sodium)
- Carrots: 2 cups frozen sliced carrots; or 1 15-ounce can sliced carrots (low sodium)
- Potatoes: 32-ounces frozen diced potatoes; or 2 16-ounce cans diced potatoes (low sodium)
If you are using canned vegetables, drain the cans and rinse to reduce sodium.
This was adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture’s Vegetable Soup with Chicken (no date; What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl; retrieved from http://www.whatscooking.fns.usda.gov/recipes/food-distribution-fdd/vegetable-soup-chicken).
Cream Soup Mix — Mix up a batch of this soup mix to keep on hand. It will help you make homemade soups, sauces, and meals in less time.
Tuscan White Bean. Sausage, and Kale Soup —Combine fresh vegetables, white beans, and turkey sausage for this delicious soup. This nutritious one-pot meal is great for lunch or dinner.
Washing Fresh Produce (144 K PDF) — Get tips for preparing fresh vegetables the safe way.