Tomato Cucumber Salad with Italian Dressing
Try this simple vegetable salad for a taste of summer. This recipe includes three different dressing recipes.
Number of Servings: 4
Serving Size: 1/4 of prepared recipe
3 tomatoes, diced
1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
Optional: 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 cup bottled or homemade Italian salad dressing, low fat (see recipes on back)
Time needed: 20 minutes preparation
- Combine all ingredients for the salad.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing.
- When salad is mixed, place in the refrigerator and serve chilled.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
|Total Fat:||2.4 g|
|Saturated Fat:||0.34 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||13 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||3 g|
|Total Sugar:||8 g|
Tips and Variations
Try these easy salad dressing recipes:
- Fat free dressing: 1/2 cup water, 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/2
- Italian dressing: 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 cup water, 6 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Lemon olive oil dressing: 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
This was adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture’s Cucumber Salad with Tomatoes (no date; What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl).
Slicing, Chopping, Dicing, or Mincing Bell Peppers (PDF) — Learn how to right way to prepare bell peppers.
Ratatouille — Try cooking this French classic for your family. It is a flavorful summer dish that uses vegetables commonly found at farmers markets.
Apple Waldorf Salad — Make yourself this classic fruit-vegetable-nut salad. It's refreshing any time of the year.