Whip up this fall favorite anytime of the year. This recipes also contains instructions on mixing your own Pumpkin Pie Spice.
Number of servings: 4
Serving size: 1/4 of prepared recipe
3 cups water
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (see “Tips and Variations” section for homemade version)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups quick or old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup vanilla yogurt
Milk (for serving)
Time needed: 5 minutes preparation; 5-10 minutes cook time
- In a medium saucepan, the bring water, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to a boil.
- Stir in oats. Return to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook 1 minute for quick oats or 5 minutes for old-fashioned oats. Most of liquid should be absorbed. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the pumpkin and brown sugar. Cook 1 minute. Let stand until it is the desired thickness.
- Spoon oatmeal into four cereal bowls. Top with yogurt. Serve with milk if preferred.
|Total Fat:||3.7 g|
|Saturated Fat:||1.1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||52.7 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||5.6 g|
|Total Sugar:||22.7 g|
Allergens: Dairy, possibly wheat (check oatmeal ingredients)
Tips and Variations
Make your own pumpkin pie spice mix. Mix together the following spices and store it in an airtight container.
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
If there is leftover pumpkin, freeze it for the next time you make pumpkin oatmeal.
If you have leftover oatmeal, layer it with yogurt and fruit to make an easy parfait.
This recipe was developed by University of Minnesota Extension Center for Family Development staff.
Fruit and Oatmeal Bars — Make this tasty bar for breakfast or snack. It contains a fraction of the fat and calories from the typical granola or cereal bar.
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Packets — Mix up a small or large batch of this flavored instant oatmeal. It is quick to prepare and is much healthier than store brands.
Peanut Butter Dunk — Mix up this easy-to-make dip with your children. It makes a great healthy snack or dessert.