English Muffin Veggie Pizza
English | español
Turn seasonal veggies into a quick pizza. This recipe will even get kids to eat their vegetables!
Number of Servings: 4
Serving Size: 1/4 of prepared recipe
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1 tablespoon water
4 English muffins
1 cup pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
3 tablespoons carrot, shredded
1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese, grated
Time needed: 10 minutes preparation; 15 minutes cook time
- Place broccoli and water in a small glass bowl or casserole dish.
- Cover and microwave on high for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Check — the broccoli should be fork tender. If not, recover and allow broccoli to sit until it is done.
- Strain water from broccoli and allow it to cool.
- Cut 4 English muffins in half. Toast the 8 muffin halves.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons pizza sauce over each English muffin half.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each half.
- Put 2 tablespoons broccoli and 1 teaspoon shredded carrots on top of each half.
- Sprinkle each half with 1 teaspoon grated parmesan cheese.
- Toast in the toaster oven for 2 minutes, until the cheese melts.
|Total Fat:||5 g|
|Saturated Fat:||2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||40 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||7 g|
Allergens: Dairy, Wheat
Tips and Variations
Try this recipe with whole grain English muffins or try whole grain thin thin-style bagels.
Substitute any vegetables that you have on hand, such as onions, peppers, tomatoes, zucchini, etc. Chop the vegetables finely and pre-cook any hard vegetables, following the broccoli instructions.
This was adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture's English Muffin Veggie Pizza (no date; What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl).
Basic Marinara Sauce — Make a large batch of this homemade red sauce to keep on hand. It's great on pasta, pizza, burgers, stews, and more.
Crispy Salmon Patties — Turn canned salmon into a delicious main dish that the whole family will love. This recipe includes lots of variations.
Ratatouille — Try cooking this French classic for your family. It is a flavorful summer dish that uses vegetables commonly found at farmers markets.