Easy cabbage and egg stir fry
Fry up this meatless dish when cabbage and carrots are plentiful. It’s easy and quick to make.
Number of servings: 4
Serving size: 1/4 size of recipe
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/2 medium cabbage, thinly sliced
1/2 medium sized carrot, shredded
1 green onion, minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
Time needed: 20 minutes preparation; 20 minutes cook time
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat until shimmery, about 1 minute. Add garlic and stir until fragrant and slightly golden in color, about 1 minute.
- Add cabbage and carrots to skillet and cook, stirring for about 3-5 minutes or until slightly softened and cabbage has soaked up most of the oil.
- Push all of the cabbage to the side and crack all of the eggs to the empty side. After about 10 seconds, stir the cabbage and eggs all together.
- Add green onions and stir until heated through.
- Mix the salt and black pepper and mix into the cabbage.
- Optional: Top off the dish with the sesame seeds.
|Total Fat:||8 g|
|Saturated Fat:||2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||3 g|
|Total Sugar:||4 g|
Tips and variations
Watch this recipe being prepared on Cooking with cabbage. The audio is in Hmong.
Try this dish in the summer and fall when cabbage and carrots are plentiful!
This is a great recipe to use up other vegetables that you have on hand. Add other finely sliced or chopped vegetables at the same time that you are cooking the cabbage.
This recipe was developed by University of Minnesota Extension Center for Family Development staff.
Brown rice with sizzling chicken and vegetables — Cook yourself up a batch of this easy chicken and vegetable stir fry. It's a great way to use vegetables you have on hand or what is in season.
Latin-Style Coleslaw — Give your standard coleslaw a tasty Latin-style makeover! Serve it as a side dish or use it as a filling for tacos, burritos, and more.