Cheesy Egg Bake
Combine eggs, vegetables, meat, and cheese into a satisfying breakfast dish. Try mixing and matching the fillings to find your family's favorite combination!
Number of Servings: 6
Serving Size: 1/6 of the prepared recipe
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
3 cups chopped vegetables such as broccoli, green pepper, mushrooms, and onion
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 3-ounce package light cream cheese (also called Neufchatel), softened
1 cup day-old bread (about 1 slice), cubed
Optional: 1/3 cup cooked ham, chopped
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Time needed: 20 minutes preparation; 35 minutes cook time
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Turn off heat and pat the vegetables with paper towels to remove any excess liquid or moisture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs and mix well.
- Stir in vegetables, bread, ham, and pepper.
- Pour into greased 8 x 8-inch baking dish or small casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until egg mixture is firm. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 5 more minutes.
|Total Fat:||9 g|
|Saturated Fat:||4 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||1 g|
|Total Sugar:||2 g|
Allergens: Wheat, dairy, egg, soy (check cooking spray label ingredients)
Tips and Variations
Children can wash and pat dry vegetables. Older children can help chop vegetables.
Substitute other cooked vegetables, cooked meats, and cheese to create your own favorite combination of flavors.
This was adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture's Sure to Please Baked Eggs & Cheese (no date; What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl).
Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Packets — Mix up a small or large batch of this flavored instant oatmeal. It is quick to prepare and is much healthier than store brands.
Breakfast Burrito — Start your day off with a hearty breakfast burrito. The protein and fiber in this burrito will give you lots of energy and help you maintain a healthy weight.