Baked Winter Squash
English | español
Bake up a squash today to enjoy the fall harvest. This can be made in the oven or microwave.
Number of Servings: 4
Serving Size: 1/4 squash
1 winter squash (acorn, buttercup, or butternut)
Optional: 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Time needed: 10 minutes preparation; 60 minutes cook time
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut squash in half, lengthwise (from stem to end).
- Use a spoon to scoop out seeds and stringy contents from the center of each half.
- Place each half on a large baking pan, cut side up.
- Add 1/4-inch water to the bottom of the pan to prevent burning the skin and drying of the squash. Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the squash is tender when poked with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool before serving.
- Serve with margarine or butter, salt, and pepper.
|Total Fat:||3 g|
|Saturated Fat:||2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||2 g|
|Total Sugar:||0 g|
Allergen: Milk (if using butter)
Tips and Variations
To bake the squash in the microwave:
- Prepare squash as indicated in steps 2 and 3 of the original recipe.
- Place squash in microwave safe dish with 1/4 inch water in the dish.
- Microwave on high until the squash is done, about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from microwave and let it cool slightly before serving.
- Serve with butter or margarine, salt, and pepper.
This was adapted from the United States Department of Agriculture's Baked Squash (no date; What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl).
Pumpkin Surprise Cupcakes — Surprise your family and friends with this easy two-ingredient treat. Make it your own by adding additional seasonings or fruits.