Baked tomato slices
Top sliced tomatoes with an Italian-style crumb topping for an easy but elegant dish. This is a great way to use up fresh tomatoes.
Number of servings: 4
Serving size: 1/4 of prepared recipe
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Nonstick cooking spray
4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 tablespoon olive oil
Time needed: 15 minutes preparation; 20 minutes cook time
- Mix together parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Spray shallow baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place tomato slices close together in greased pan.
- Sprinkle tomato slices with parmesan cheese mixture.
- Drizzle slices with olive oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until topping is lightly toasted.
|Total Fat:||5 g|
|Saturated Fat:||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||2 g|
|Total Sugar:||4 g|
Allergens: Dairy, soy (check cooking spray label)
Tips and variations
Baked tomato slices can be served as a vegetable side dish or as a meatless main dish.
For an Italian-style burger, top a fried or grilled burger with one or more baked tomato slices.
Leftover baked tomatoes will be wet but are still tasty. Chop up leftover tomatoes and mix them in a pasta or rice salad, or add them to pizza or soup.
This recipe was developed by University of Minnesota Extension Center for Family Development staff.
Baked stuffed squash — Stuff squash with apples for this easy-to-make dish. It tastes great any time of the year.
Lemon carrots — Add a little lemon and garlic to turn plain old carrots into a “wow” dish. Try it today!