Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Packets
Mix up a small or large batch of this flavored instant oatmeal. It is quick to prepare and is much healthier than store brands.
Number of Servings: 1
Serving Size: 1 packet
1/2 cup quick oats oatmeal
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1-2 tablespoons dried apples, chopped
1 cup water
Time needed: 5 minutes preparation; 2 minutes cook time
- If desired, mix all ingredients into a "packet" to heat and eat later. (See "Tips and Variations" for suggested containers.)
- Pour contents into a large bowl* and add water.
- Do not cover and microwave on high for 1 1/2–2 minutes.
*Use a 4-cup bowl or the oatmeal will overflow when cooking. Or use only 1/2 of the mix and 1/2 cup water in a smaller bowl.
|Total Fat:||2.8 g|
|Saturated Fat:||0.45 g|
|Total Carbohydrate:||43 g|
|Dietary Fiber:||4.8 g|
|Total Sugar:||13 g|
Allergens: Check product labels
Tips and Variations
Instead of adding the sugar, cinnamon, and apples, try these variations:
- Cinnamon Raisin — Add 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1-2 tablespoons raisins.
- Cinnamon-Spice — Add 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Cocoa — Add 1 teaspoon baking cocoa and 1 teaspoon sugar, or 2 teaspoons "quick-type" chocolate drink powder.
- Sweetened — Add 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon brown sugar.
Pre-mix your oatmeal for future use. Assemble your packets in small zipper-style plastic bags or a reusable jar. Or try making a larger batch of each variation and scoop out 1/2 cup as needed.
Have children make these packets to give as gifts. Have them make labels for the packets.
This was adapted from J. Temple's Food, Fun and Fitness Newsletter (2001, January; Ames, IA: Iowa State University).
Cheesy Egg Bake — Combine eggs, vegetables, meat, and cheese into a satisfying breakfast dish. Try mixing and matching the fillings to find your family's favorite combination!
Banana Pancakes — Make pancakes a little healthier by adding whole wheat flour and bananas. This is great with other fruits too — the possibilities are endless!
Planning Meals on the Go (336 K PDF) — Think ahead with our list of take-along foods.