Unit 1: Basic Nutrition
This beginning lesson will help establish basic nutrition knowledge, which can be built upon in future lessons.
See the complete Unit 1: Basic Nutrition (3 MB PDF)
By the end of this lesson, the participant will be able to:
- Determine her food intake recommendations and differentiate between essential calories and empty calories.
- Identify calorie-dense foods and non-calorie-dense foods and be able to balance these foods within daily calorie requirements.
- Explain the difference between portion size and serving size and use everyday objects as a reference when determining appropriate portion sizes.
- Identify serving size, calories per serving, servings per container, nutrients to limit, and nutrients to increase; and the significance of the 5/20 rule.
- Identify two benefits of eating breakfast and snack ideas that include at least two food groups.
Activities in this Lesson (30-60 minutes)
- Introduction to MyPlate
- Calories: A Balancing Act
- Portion Size
- Food Labels
- Basic Nutrition
- What’s on Your Plate? (975 K PDF) — Print the two pages double-sided.
- Choose MyPlate: 10 Tips to a Great Plate (842 K PDF)
- MyPlate Food Intake Patterns (228 K PDF) — Print double-sided with The Nutrition Facts Label.
- Fake Money (212 K PDF) — Print the handout and cut out individual $100 InSNC Bucks.
- Nutrition Facts Label (153 K PDF) — Print double-sided with MyPlate Food Intake Patterns.
- Rate the Full Plate (199 K PDF) — Print the two pages double-sided.
- Visualizing Portion Size with Common Objects (206 K PDF)
- Portion Sizes: Meals Matter Worksheet (87 K PDF) — Print double-sided with I Revised My Plate! Worksheet.
- I Revised MyPlate! Worksheet (86 K PDF) — Print double-sided with Portion Sizes Meals Matter Worksheet.
- Food Label Basics (404 K PDF) — Print the two pages double-sided.