Targeted Food Marketing to Youth Online Course
Check out our introductory video.
Promotional Flyer (106 K PDF)
Are you a professional interested in helping youth build the needed skills to wisely select and prepare healthful foods? Do you work with parents and caregivers or directly with youth through Headstart, after-school programs, and the like? Then the Targeted Food Marketing to Youth online course is for you!
What Will I Learn?
Targeted Food Marketing to Youth is an online course for professionals who work with parents and caregivers, or directly with youth in after-school programs and similar efforts. The course covers the influence of food and beverage marketing, including advertising, on children from infancy to the early teen years. This course provides tools, resources, and strategies to encourage healthful eating that you can pass on to parents, caregivers or youth. Information for parents and caregivers covers two age groups: birth to age 7 and ages 8-13.
Through a combination of online narrated presentations, handouts, online discussions, take and teach lesson plans, links to additional resources, and more, you will:
- Identify strategies and techniques the food industry uses to market and advertise its products to children.
- Recognize trends in nutrition for children from birth to age 13.
- Recognize developmental stages regarding children's comprehension and understanding of marketing and advertising via different media.
- Acquire strategies for instructing parents and other caregivers on cooking nutritious meals and helping children make wise food and beverage choices.
- Learn about tools and resources for teaching parents and other caregivers how marketing and advertising influences food choices, as well as teaching these same groups how to train children to make wise food choices despite these influences.
- Learn about tools and resources for teaching children ages 8-13 how marketing and advertising influences their food choices, as well as how to make wise food choices and help their parents prepare healthful meals.
How This Course Works
Targeted Food Marketing to Youth is designed as an online self-study course. After starting the course, you can work through the modules at your own pace — as long as you finish work by the course deadline. Most participants spend about seven hours on the course.
The exact time needed to complete the course will vary depending on your current knowledge and the amount of time you spend doing additional readings and activities. As with any endeavor, you will get more out of the course the more time you put into it.
The cost for this course is $25. Fee waivers are available for university of Minnesota Extension staff and students. Send an email to email@example.com for more information.
Upon course completion, you will receive a certificate recognizing your accomplishment.
How do I get started?
Registration is closed for the summer session. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to express your interest in this course.
Already registered for the course? Access the course now.
Having problems with registration and/or access? Read our Frequently Asked Questions.
The materials in this online course were created and/or adapted by the following Extension educators:
- Mary Jo Katras and Brianna Routh — Building Healthy and Strong Families
- Mary Schroeder and Kelly Kunkel — Health and Nutrition
- Sara Croymans — Family Resiliency
- Carrie Olson — Youth Development
For more information on this course, send an email to email@example.com.