Targeted Food Marketing to Youth Online Course
Check out our introductory video.
Promotional Flyer (150 K PDF)
Are you interested in helping youth build the needed skills to wisely select and prepare healthful foods? Targeted Food Marketing to Youth is for you!
What Will I Learn?
Targeted Food Marketing to Youth is an online course for professionals who work with parents, caregivers, and after-school programs. We cover food and beverage marketing and its influences on children from infancy to the early teen years. In this course, we provide tools and strategies so that you can, in turn, can teach parents and caregivers of children birth to 7 and/or youth ages 8-13.
Through a combination of online narrated presentations, handouts, online discussions, take and teach lesson plans, links to additional resources, and more, you will:
- Identify marketing techniques and strategies the food industry uses to market to children.
- Recognize trends in early childhood and youth nutrition.
- Recognize developmental stages regarding children’s comprehension and understanding of marketing and different media.
- Acquire strategies to teach parents how to make nutritious food and beverage choices.
- Use tools to teach parents how food marketing influences food choices.
- Use tools to teach youth how food marketing influences food choices.
What is Required For This Course?
This course will take place between July 21, 2014 and September 12, 2014. It is designed as an online self-study.
Once beginning the course, you can work through the modules at your own pace throughout the course timeframe. Most participants spend 7 hours on the course. The exact time needed to complete the course will vary depending on your current knowledge and the amount of time spent doing additional readings and activities.
The cost for this course is $25. Fee waivers are available for University of Minnesota Extension staff and students. Contact Us for more information.
Upon course completion, you will receive a certificate.
How do I get started?
You can register for this course by following these simple instructions. The course will start on July 21, 2014, and you may not gain access to the course site until that date.
Are you having access problems? We can help!