I CAN Prevent Diabetes
Individuals and Communities Acting Now to Prevent Diabetes© (I CAN Prevent Diabetes) is an evidence-based lifestyle change program designed for people with prediabetes.
About the program
Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed in people with prediabetes when they make simple changes to increase physical activity and lose weight.
The I CAN Prevent Diabetes program provides tools for adults to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes:
- A four-month core phase with weekly sessions and an eight-month post-core phase with monthly sessions.
- Instruction on diabetes prevention focusing on nutrition and physical activity.
- Goal-setting around physical activity, food selection and intake, and other behaviors.
- Personalized guidance and coaching from trained instructors.
I CAN Prevent Diabetes is a marketing term for the National Diabetes Prevention Program (NDPP) in Minnesota. It is based on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s curriculum and National Diabetes Prevention Recognition standards.
Does the Program Work?
Since we've begun offering this program statewide in 2014, participants have achieved an average weight loss of five percent of their body weight in the first four months of starting the course. In 2016, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) added Extension to its registry of recognized organizations that have demonstrated effectiveness. For more information, see CDC's Registry of Recognized Organizations.
- For highlights of this program's success, read this June 2016 newspaper article: Getting Healthy: Students in I CAN Prevent Diabetes Class Lose Combined 160 Pounds in Four Months.
- For a summary of the results from our 2013 our pilot project in Western Minnesota, read the WMICPD September Research Update (PDF).
- For testimonials about this program, watch this video for a program that we offered to Latino families through a partnership with PartnerShip 4 Health: I CAN Prevent Diabetes (Video) (3:27).
Accessing the Program
We offer I CAN Prevent Diabetes courses throughout Minnesota. Click on a pin in the map below for an instructor’s contact information.
Adapting the Program for Different CulturesTwo Southwest Minnesota communities and Health and Nutrition staff are working together to adapt this promising program for the food traditions and lifestyles of Latino and Somali populations. Learn more with the recent blog posts about this project: Cultural Adaptation of I CAN Prevent Diabetes Underway and Adapting Diabetes Prevention Program in Southwest Minnesota.
Family Matters: I CAN Prevent Diabetes — Catch up with Extension's I CAN Prevent Diabetes news on the Family Matters blog.
I CAN Prevent Diabetes — Minnesota Department of Health — Get the latest news and announcement about the statewide program, find a group in Minnesota, and check out the Prediabetes Health Provider Toolkit.
National Diabetes Prevention Program — Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — Learn about the program and original research I CAN Prevent Diabetes is based on.