Healthy Food Shelf Transformations
SuperShelf transforms food shelves, creating welcoming environments for communities to access appealing, healthy food. Learn how on the SuperShelf website: What We Do.
Extension SNAP-Ed educators to partner with food shelves across the state to transform their food shelves to become “SuperShelves” that make the healthy choice the easiest choice for all. The first cohort of the pilot project included four food shelves in the metro region. Evaluation results from the pilot project will be released Fall 2017.
In July 2017, the SuperShelf team received a grant from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) to evaluate the impact of SuperShelf transformations on clients’ health and diet. The SuperShelf transformations taking part in the NIH evaluation study will take place over the next two years.
- Summer 2017 — Round 1 applications released.
- Fall 2017 — Eight transformation sites identified.
- Winter to Spring 2018 — Eight transformations begin.
- Summer 2018 — Round 2 applications released.
- Fall 2018 — Eight transformation sites identified.
- Winter to Spring 2019 — Eight transformations begin.
Potential next steps include the following.
- Share trainings and findings with national audience.
- The Metro Food Access Network (MFAN) will launch a new Food Shelf Action Team in 2018 to develop food bank stocking standards.
The team working on this project includes staff members from The Food Group, Valley Outreach, Health Partners, and the University of Minnesota Extension Health and Nutrition team. For more information, visit the SuperShelf website or contact Laura Bohen.
Metro Food Access Network — This food network leverages the collective capacity of partners to advance equitable access to healthy food for all Twin Cities metro residents.
Nudging to Health: Promoting Healthy Choices at Your Food Shelf — Attend this workshop and access the training resources.
360 Communities Healthy Food Initiative — Watch a video of a healthy food shelf transformation that Extension is supporting.