Extension > Family > Health and Nutrition > Signature Programs and Special Projects > Building Better Food Shelves > Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves > Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves > Provide Practical Information
Provide Practical Information
Sally Dover and Kelly Kunkel, Extension Educators — Health and Nutrition
Revised December 2014 by Kelly Kunkel, Extension Educator — Health and Nutrition.
Strive to provide simple, practical information on which foods are healthy and how to prepare them.
What You Can Do Today
- Review these handouts with tips about healthy food choices and preparation, and then choose one or two to distribute to your clients: Cooking Matters in Your Food Pantry (pp. 53-69)
- Review these colorful produce display cards with nutrition facts and easy serving suggestions and choose one or two to distribute: Fruit & Veggie Fact Sheets
- Review these free printable materials about healthy food choices and choose one or two to distribute: Choose MyPlate Printable Materials & Ordering
How Extension Can Help
Connect with a SNAP-Ed educator to train food shelf volunteers on MyPlate to assist in the identification of healthy foods: SNAP-Education (SNAP-Ed).
Find out more about promoting healthy eating at food shelves:
- Identify Healthy Food
- Source Healthy Food
- Work with Local Growers
- Ensure Safety of Healthy Food
- Store Healthy Foods Properly
- Work with Limited Storage Space
- Drive Selection of Healthy Foods
- Find Healthy Recipes
- Enlist Volunteers' Help
- Include Healthy Foods in Your Backpack Program
- Do Cooking Demonstrations
- Develop a Healthy Food Policy
- Fund Your Healthy Eating Initiatives
Download the complete Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves document (392 K PDF).
Fruits — Access the fruit-related resources that are part of the Food Shelf Resource Book, a collection of resources provided in the Nudging to Health: Promoting Healthy Choices at Your Food Shelf class.
Vegetables — Explore the vegetable-related resources that are part of the Food Shelf Resource Book, a collection of resources provided in the Nudging to Health: Promoting Healthy Choices at Your Food Shelf class.