Extension > Family > Health and Nutrition > Signature Programs and Special Projects > Building Better Food Shelves > Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves > Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves > Fund Your Healthy Eating Initiatives
Fund Your Healthy Eating Initiatives
Sally Dover and Kelly Kunkel, Extension Educators — Health and Nutrition
Revised December 2014 by Kelly Kunkel, Extension Educator — Health and Nutrition.
There are many options for funding projects at your food shelf:
- Statewide Health Improvement Program (SHIP) works to improve healthy food access. Contact your local SHIP project coordinator to inquire about mini-grant opportunities.
- Health-related organizations in your community, including health care clinics, may be looking for preventive health activities to support.
- Grantors (organizations or foundations) in your local community, as well as across the state and nation. An Internet search can help you locate opportunities.
If you are looking for larger sums of money and you have the infrastructure to manage a federal grant, you may want to look into options available from the USDA Rural Development Program or the National Institute of Food and Agriculture.
What You Can Do Today
- Locate your local SHIP coordinator and learn more about the program: SHIP Communities
- Search for federal grant options: Grants.gov Search Grants
How Extension Can Help
Find regional data to support grant writing or to connect with an Extension educator in your region: Regional Food Access Profiles.
Find out more about promoting healthy eating at food shelves:
- Identify Healthy Food
- Source Healthy Food
- Work with Local Growers
- Ensure Safety of Healthy Food
- Store Healthy Foods Properly
- Work with Limited Storage Space
- Drive Selection of Healthy Foods
- Provide Practical Information
- Find Healthy Recipes
- Enlist Volunteers' Help
- Include Healthy Foods in Your Backpack Program
- Do Cooking Demonstrations
- Develop a Healthy Food Policy
Download the complete Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves document (392 K PDF).
SHIP: The Statewide Health Improvement Program — Minnesota Department of Health — By building stronger communities, SHIP improves Minnesotans' health and saves money. Click on “Grantee support” to find RFP information.
Partner With Us — Partner with University of Minnesota Extension to expand your reach and achieve bigger impacts in the areas of health and nutrition.