Extension > Family > Health and Nutrition > Signature Programs and Special Projects > Building Better Food Shelves > Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves > Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves > Find Healthy Recipes
Find Healthy Recipes
Sally Dover and Kelly Kunkel, Extension Educators — Health and Nutrition
Revised December 2014 by Kelly Kunkel, Extension Educator — Health and Nutrition.
Recipes encourage clients to try new foods or to prepare familiar foods in new ways. Recipes that can be prepared in 30 minutes or less are especially popular.
What You Can Do Today
Learn about using "recipe frameworks" or flexible recipes that use ingredients on hand and incorporate more healthy foods: Cooking Matters in Your Food Pantry (pp. 71-80)
- Check out these flexible recipes: Good Food on a Tight Budget Recipes
- Review recipes featuring ingredients commonly found at your food shelf: Recipe Rainbow
- Browse recipes that are searchable by ingredient and other categories: Recipe Finder
Tips for Success
Pair recipes with fresh produce and healthy foods you're currently offering and hand out copies to clients as they enter. Remember to focus on recipes that feature healthy, but common, inexpensive ingredients readily available at your food shelf or at the grocery store.
Offer new recipes frequently so that regular clients can get new ideas for preparing healthy foods.
How Extension Can Help
Connect with a SNAP-Ed educator or an EFNEP coordinator to set up an on-site cooking or recipe-sampling demonstration to encourage clients to attend cooking classes or classes on healthy eating on a budget: SNAP Education (SNAP-Ed) or Contact EFNEP.
Find out more about promoting healthy eating at food shelves:
- Identify Healthy Food
- Source Healthy Food
- Work with Local Growers
- Ensure Safety of Healthy Food
- Store Healthy Foods Properly
- Work with Limited Storage Space
- Drive Selection of Healthy Foods
- Provide Practical Information
- Enlist Volunteers' Help
- Include Healthy Foods in Your Backpack Program
- Do Cooking Demonstrations
- Develop a Healthy Food Policy
- Fund Your Healthy Eating Initiatives
Download the complete Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves document (392 K PDF).
The Recipe Box — Quick, simple recipes using easy-to-find ingredients that work in even the tightest budgets.
Recipes — Access recipes that are part of the Food Shelf Resource Book, a collection of resources provided in the Nudging to Health: Promoting Healthy Choices at Your Food Shelf class.
What's Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl — United States Department of Agriculture — Search this bilingual database of recipes, create and print your own cookbook, browse recipes by nutrition theme, and more.