Extension > Family > Health and Nutrition > Signature programs and special projects > Building better food shelves > Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves > Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves > Do Cooking Demonstrations
Do Cooking Demonstrations
Sally Dover and Kelly Kunkel, Extension Educators — Health and Nutrition
Revised December 2014 by Kelly Kunkel, Extension Educator — Health and Nutrition.
On-site cooking demonstrations are a great way to show off easy and delicious recipes featuring foods from your food shelf. Demos are a good way to promote ingredients that clients may be unfamiliar with or to highlight a less common preparation method. Demos can be as simple as you choose. Simple taste-tests of prepared foods, such as boxed soups, can also be a helpful way of introducing clients to a product they may not have tried before.
What You Can Do Today
- Review this step-by-step guide to planning, preparing for, promoting, delivering, and evaluating demos: A How-To Guide for Recipe Demos
- Review this comprehensive guide for planning ideas, recipe tips, nutrition messages, and an evaluation tool for demos: Cooking Matters in Your Food Pantry (pp. 13-37)
Tips for Success
- Offer samples.
- Distribute copies of the recipes.
How Extension Can Help
Connect with a SNAP-Ed educator or an EFNEP coordinator to set up an on-site cooking or sampling demonstration to encourage clients to attend cooking classes or classes on healthy eating on a budget: SNAP Education (SNAP-Ed) or Contact EFNEP.
Find out more about promoting healthy eating at food shelves:
- Identify Healthy Food
- Source Healthy Food
- Work with Local Growers
- Ensure Safety of Healthy Food
- Store Healthy Foods Properly
- Work with Limited Storage Space
- Drive Selection of Healthy Foods
- Provide Practical Information
- Find Healthy Recipes
- Enlist Volunteers' Help
- Include Healthy Foods in Your Backpack Program
- Develop a Healthy Food Policy
- Fund Your Healthy Eating Initiatives
Download the complete document: Promoting Healthy Eating at Food Shelves (PDF).
Knife Cutting Techniques (PDF) — Learn how to use a knife efficiently and safely.
Cooking is a SNAP — Find out about the culinary nutrition education course where participants practice food preparation skills to make cooking and eating at home easier and more rewarding.
Preparing Food — A wealth of food preparation tips.