Targeted Food Marketing to Youth Online Course
Are you interested in helping youth build the needed skills to wisely select and prepare healthful foods? Targeted Food Marketing to Youth is for you!
Targeted Food Marketing to Youth is an online course for professionals who work with parents, caregivers, and after-school programs. It informs professionals about food and beverage marketing and its influences on children from infancy to the early teen years. Tools and strategies are provided as part of the course so participants of the course can, in turn, can teach parents and caregivers of children birth to 7 and/or youth ages 8-13. This course addresses Minnesota’s increasing overweight and obese population. Recent statistics show that over 23% of Minnesota children are overweight (Trust For America's Health and The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2009).
Through a combination of online narrated presentations, handouts, online discussions, take and teach lesson plans, links to additional resources, and more, professionals will:
- Identify marketing techniques and strategies the food industry uses to market to children.
- Recognize trends in early childhood and youth nutrition.
- Recognize developmental stages regarding children’s comprehension and understanding of marketing and different media.
- Acquire strategies to teach parents how to make nutritious food and beverage choices.
- Utilize tools to teach parents how food marketing influences food choices.
- Utilize tools to teach youth how food marketing influences food choices.
This course is designed as an online self-study. Once beginning the course, you can work through the modules at your one pace throughout the course timeframe. Most participants spend about 7 hours on the course. The exact time needed to complete the course will vary depending on your current knowledge and the amount of time spent doing additional readings and activities.
The cost for this course is $25. Fee waivers are available for University of Minnesota Extension staff and students. Contact Us for more information.
The course will take about 7 hours to complete. Upon course completion, you will receive a certificate.
How do I get started?
You can register for this course by following these simple instructions. The course will not start until February 2.
Are you having access problems? We can help!
See the related flyer. (265 K PDF)