The Power of 3: Get Healthy with Whole Grain Foods
The Power of 3: Get Healthy with Whole Grain Foods is a school-based curriculum designed to increase intake of whole grain foods by elementary school students in grades 3 to 6. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends an eating pattern to lower chronic disease risk and promote health. A key message is that half of the grain servings should be whole grain foods.
This 3-component program includes a five-lesson classroom curriculum supporting student learning and behavior change, newsletters and events to encourage parents to make whole grain foods available at home, and information for school foodservice personnel to increase the number of whole grain foods that are incorporated into school menus.
Download or print the The Power of 3 program files:
- Table of Contents, Instructions, etc. (1.71 MB PDF) — Includes Table of Contents, Acknowledgments, About the Program, Teacher Instructions, School Foodservice, and Evaluation — Procedures
- Events (1.45 MB PDF) — Includes Bakery Tour, Supermarket Tour, and Whole Grain Quiz Bowl
- Lesson 1: The Whole is Greater than Its Parts (1.35 MB PDF) — Includes Worksheets/Handouts, Quiz Bowl Cards and Newsletters
- Lesson 2: Food Label Lingo: Sending You a Message (1.86 MB PDF) — Includes Worksheets/Handouts, Quiz Bowl Cards and Newsletters
- Lesson 3: Vote for Good Health with Whole Grains (1.64 MB PDF) — Includes Worksheets/Handouts, Quiz Bowl Cards and Newsletters
- Lesson 4: You Choose, You Use Whole Grain Foods (1.02 MB PDF) — Includes Worksheets/Handouts, Quiz Bowl Cards and Newsletters
- Lesson 5: Share the Good News about Whole Grain Foods (1.33 MB PDF) — Includes Worksheets/Handouts, Quiz Bowl Cards and Newsletters
- Participation Certificate (666 K PDF)
- Quiz Bowl questions (696 K PPT)
Other Recommended Resources
Go Wild with Whole Grains! — Comprehensive classroom-based program for 3rd-5th graders designed to promote whole grain foods consumption and physical activity.
List of Whole Grains — Learn more about the different whole grains that are available.
Serving Size of Whole Grain Products (161 K PDF) — Examples of serving sizes for different whole grain foods.
Healthy Schools — Resources for creating a healthy food environment at your school.