Eat Smart to Play Hard
Ever wondered what food and beverages can do to help you during a game, sports competition, or daily practice? We have some information that can help you answer those questions.
- The types of foods and amount of foods you eat before, during, and after exercise and physical activity can impact your performance. These foods also determine how prepared your body will be for future physical activity! Check out our Eating for Performance guide (806 K PDF) to get more information and make a plan to eat the right foods at the right.
- Female athletes have unique needs. Do you know how important hemoglobin is to your performance? How about sunshine? Our For Female Athletes guide (468 K PDF) has the answers.
- Staying hydrated is an important part of performing your best. To figure out what is best to drink for different types of physical activity, take a look at our Fluids and Hydration guide (377 K PDF). It will also give you some hydration hints and help you work through how much you should be drinking to stay hydrated.
- Energy in equals energy out, but do you know how much energy you are taking in with different foods or how much energy you are using on a normal day? Our Nutrition Guide for the Athlete (1.1 MB PDF) has basic nutrition tips and will walk you through how to figure out how many calories (energy) your body need as well as how many calories (energy) is in different foods you might be eating.
- What about supplements? Do they help out with sports performance? Check out our Nutrition Supplements guide (442 K PDF) to find out if your body would be improved by supplements in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, or if just eating healthy will do the trick.
Pick the right fuel to get your best performance in sports and physical activity! Check out the websites and resources on the Build a Healthy Plate page for more information about good nutrition to help you reach your potential.