Bullying: A Big Problem with Big Consequences Take and Teach Lesson
Bullying can be a big problem. Whether teens are exhibiting bullying behavior themselves, being victimized by bullying, or witnessing bullying behavior around them, bullying behavior has big consequences for teens, their parents, and the organizations that serve them.
- Looking for information and tools about bullying to share with parents and other adult caregivers of teens?
- Looking to share tips on preventing or stopping bullying behavior, whether it occurs in person or online?
- Looking for a comprehensive lesson plan to teach parents and caregivers on the topic of bullying that can also be adapted for delivery to a teen audience?
If so, then the Bullying: A Big Problem with Big Consequences take and teach lesson is for you! Download the “Lesson Plan Resources” linked below to get started today. The complete lesson will take about 1 hour and 15 minutes to teach, with an additional 7 minutes needed if you do the optional activity.
All lesson resources were developed by Jodi Dworkin, Extension Specialist and Associate Professor — Family Social Science, and colleagues as noted. For more information on this lesson plan, please contact the author (612-624-3732; email@example.com).
Lesson Plan Resources
Facilitators will need to download and/or print one copy of the following resources for their use in delivering the Bullying: A Big Problem with Big Consequences take and teach lesson:
- Setting the Stage for Your Workshop (230 K PDF) — Provides guidelines for facilitating workshops teaching on teens and bullying.
- Research Overview for Facilitators (327 K PDF) — Reviews recent research on the topic of bullying.
- Facilitator’s Guide (557 K PDF) — Comprehensive guide that will help you facilitate the lesson.
- Presentation (1 MB PDF) — Presentation that can be used in the delivery of the lesson.
- Presentation Notes for Facilitators (2.9 MB PDF) — Facilitation handout that shows the corresponding slide notes for each presentation slide.
- Resources for Facilitators (369 K PDF) — List of books and website resources for facilitators who may want additional background on bullying.
- Media Resources for Facilitators (159 K PDF) — List of media resources, including video clips and news articles, that help illustrate concepts presented in the lesson.
For Facilitators and Participants
Facilitators will need to print one copy of the following resources for each of their Bullying: A Big Problem with Big Consequences take and teach lesson participants:
- Presentation for Participants (349 K PDF) — Handout that shows the presentation slides, with space for participants to take notes if desired.
- Evaluation Form (696 K PDF) — Collects participant feedback about a delivered lesson.
- Bullying: A Big Problem with Big Consequences (360 K PDF) — Gives parents and caregivers of teens background on the topic of bullying. Part of the Teen Talk Fact Sheet series.
- Bullying Experiences: An In-Class Discussion Guide (292 K PDF) — Handout that facilitates a discussion about bullying behavior scenarios. Facilitators will also need a copy of this handout.
- Bullying Experiences: A Discussion Guide Including Teens (285 K PDF) — Adapted take-home guide for parents to discuss the same bullying behavior scenarios they talked about in class with their teens.
- Talking with Kids About Cyberbullying An In-Class Role Play Guide (334 K PDF) — Handout that facilitates a role play and discussion about cyberbullying behavior scenarios. Facilitators will also need a copy of this handout.
- Steps for Dealing with Cyberbullying (208 K PDF) — Handout with practical tips for parents and caregivers of teens to prevent and stop cyberbullying.
- Resources for Parents and Teens (218 K PDF) — List of books and website resources for parents, caregivers, and teens who want more information on bullying.
- Video Resources for Parents and Teens (163 K PDF) — List of online videos about bullying and sample questions parents can ask teens to spark discussion.
School Violence — Resources for helping children recover from school shootings.
Bullying: A Big Problem with Big Consequences (360 K PDF) — Part of the Teen Talk Fact Sheet series, this handout provides participants background on the topic of teens and bullying. English | español
Teens and the Internet (194 K PDF) — Part of the Teen Talk Fact Sheet series, this handout provides participants background on the topic of teens and internet use.
Teens and Social Networking Websites (281 K PDF) — Part of the Teen Talk Fact Sheet series, this handout provides participants background on the topic of teens and social networking websites. English | español