Lessons from the Field
Children, Youth & Family Consortium hosts a theme-based seminar series called Lessons from the Field. The purpose of this series is to:
- Engage community and University clinicians, community leaders, researchers, and instructors in examining specific topics related to children’s mental health.
- Close the research-practice gap by developing a strong circular pattern of communication where theory and research inform practice that in turn informs theory and research.
Lessons from the Field is not a webinar. Participants in greater Minnesota go to a host site where they not only watch the presentations, but also have the opportunity to discuss topics with other professionals in their community. Marilyn Seifert, a social worker in Wright County, particularly appreciates that "...you connect up with other people and find out other things that are going on."
The series fits our goal to strengthen children’s mental health practice and policy by promoting use of evidence. Events are planned by a diverse group of community and University representatives and attended by clinicians, researchers, parents, and others locally and throughout Minnesota via video stream and interactive television.
Secondary Traumatic Stress: Building Resilience for Professionals (October 30, 2014)
Linda Gensheimer, PhD and Cynthia Packer, LISCW presented at the symposium. We invited professionals who work with traumatized children, youth and families to join us for presentations and small group conversations discussing adaptability and health maintenance. Participants learned to integrate practices that help diminish the negative impact of secondary traumatic stress. Presenters embodied a wide range of professional experience with survivors of political violence and torture, generational and historical trauma, and vicarious trauma experienced by school professionals.
Click on a link below to see video recordings, presentation materials, and more from our past Lessons from the Field.
- Traumatic Stress Series
- More Than Just Mean Girls: A Series on Relational Aggression
- Race, Culture and Children’s Mental Health
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Issues that Impact Attachment
- Attachment Series
- Intensive Early Treatment with our Highest Risk Children
- The FDA "Black Box" Warning on Antidepressant Medications
- Strategies for Working with Depressed Mothers and Their Infants
Post test for social workers who attended our November 14 symposium, Unbarred: Strengthening Families Affected by Incarceration. Post test