Meeting the Needs of Transgender Youth
During winter and spring of 2017, CYFC hosted seven regional events for parents, educators, and professionals who work with families and youth. These interactional and workshop-based events covered current research and prevailing perspectives that promote well-being among all youth.
Resident Scholar Jenifer McGuire, Ph.D., Regional SNAP-Ed Educator Nathan Hesse, and Extension Educator Cari Michaels, MPH explored how gender-inclusive environments can support positive body image, healthy nutrition, and physical and mental health.
- Definitions and vocabulary about transgender and gender non-confirming youth, including how terms show up in everyday interactions.
- How communities can support families and families can support gender development among youth.
- How food and economic security, nutrition and body image can specifically influence transgender and gender non-confirming youth.
- How promoting mental health for everyone reduces stigma and builds community.
- 5/19 CYFC's Community Discussions on Transgender Issues in Greater Minnesota Exceed Expectations
Since January 2017, University of Minnesota Extension faculty and staff have discussed issues facing transgender youth with 220 community members in greater Minnesota.
The Lessons From the Field: Meeting the Needs of Transgender Youth series of events featured Dr. Jenifer K. McGuire, scholar in residence with Extension's Children, Youth & Family Consortium (CYFC), Nathan Hesse, SNAP-Ed educator, and Cari Michaels, Extension educator in CYFC. Events were held in five greater Minnesota communities: Bemidji, Morris, Saint Cloud, Grand Rapids, and Rochester. Each of these regional, free-to-participate community training opportunities attracted between 24 and 75 people with an interest in the topic of transgender youth that was professional, personal, or both. These numbers at times made for very cozy discussions, as our community hosts have not always expected such large turnouts.
Read more >>
CYFC Scholar in Residence — Meet the 2016-17 CYFC Scholar and learn about this past year’s activities.
The Transgender Toolkit — Use these videos, recent research articles, and links to community organizations to take your work to the next level.