Child Welfare and Education Learning Community (CWELC)
This WT Grant Foundation funded Child Welfare and Education Learning Community (CWELC) is a collaboration between researchers, practitioners and policymakers to address the intersection of child welfare and education systems across three states: Minnesota, Illinois, and North Carolina. Extension CYFC is partnering with Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago, and the Center for Child and Family Policy at Duke University on this project. Practitioners and policymakers from three states have gathered with the goal of increasing understanding of barriers and opportunities at the intersection of child welfare and education across and within these three states. In addition, representatives within each state meet together regularly to discuss state-specific issues.
In September of 2013, the first group meeting was held in Chicago, IL. The discussions centered on issues of data sharing, student mobility, and evidence-based work. More information on the results of that meeting (1.2 MB PDF).
In May of 2014, the group met again at Crossnore School in North Carolina to discuss state-specific and national challenges at the intersection of child welfare and education systems. The group also discussed how our unique expertise could contribute to the ongoing state and national conversations about these issues. Stay tuned for more information on these efforts!
Collaboration Across Child Welfare and Education Systems in Minnesota
CYFC is leading the Minnesota contingent of practitioners and policymakers. The Minnesota team recently conducted an online survey and the results are in! Check out the full report (1.2 MB PDF) or take a few minutes to watch the video below to learn about how Minnesota professionals collaborate across child welfare and education systems.
Members of the Minnesota CWELC team
- Patricia Burger — District Program Facilitator at Minneapolis Public Schools
- Sara Langworthy — Extension Educator, Children Youth and Family Consortium
- Anita Larson — Data Policy Manager of the Early Childhood Longitudinal Data System project in Early Learning Services at the Minnesota Department of Education
- Donna Nelson — Senior Social Worker at Hennepin County with the County/School Shared Social Work Project
- Lauren Robertson — Technical Consultant for the Children, Youth and Family Consortium
- Jessica Cintorino (Former Member) — Program Consultant at the Minnesota Department of Human Services