Family Resiliency is a program area in the Extension Center for Family Development that aims to build healthy and strong families.
Helping People Make Informed Decisions
Family Resiliency’s education programs, services, and resources help individuals and families make informed decisions in order to successfully navigate life's natural transitions and unique challenges.
Extension educators work with individuals and families in their communities, workplaces, and homes, as well as with community-based professionals who serve them. Our research-based educational offerings address pressing issues for families and communities, particularly underserved populations, to help them make informed decisions for better health and well-being.
Family Resiliency education provides strategies and tools to:
- Support parenting and caregiving skills.
- Maintain complete physical, mental, and social well-being.
- Manage financial resources.
- Find safe and affordable housing.
Who We Reach and How
We work with people on the individual level, where we provide direct education to individuals and families.
We also work with a variety of organizations to build capacity, providing train-the-trainer education to staff and volunteers of community organizations, such as:
- Non-profits and government agencies
- Churches and other faith-based organizations
We work with families and communities throughout Minnesota, as well as nationally, offering education in person and online. Besides English, selected classes are offered in other languages, such as Spanish.
Our Educational Offerings
Our education programs, which support individuals and families in transition, are offered under two main categories.
- Divorce and coparenting
- School success
- Caregiving and general parenting
- Support for professionals who work with military families
- Basic personal finance for adults and youth
- Tenant education
- Disaster recovery
- Health insurance literacy
- End of life decision making
Our Programs Have Impact
Our programs show results.
- 50 percent reduced conflict — Participants of the divorce education program Parents Forever™ reported reduced conflict in front of their children.
- 95 percent increased financial confidence — Participants in two financial capability programs reported increased confidence in financial decision making.
- 40 percent improved parenting — Parents Forever™ participants reported improved parenting practices.
- 95 percent improved skills — Professionals trained in three programs demonstrated improved skills and confidence to provide continued education, tools, and resources to the families and communities they serve.
Partner with Us
Partner with us to build healthy and strong families. Contact Family Resiliency.
Family Resiliency Team — Find contact information for program leadership, Extension educators, local financial capability educators, program staff, campus faculty, and the campus support team.
Parents Forever™ — Provides resources and online and in-person classes to divorcing and never-been-married parents who are separating.
School Success — Builds strong parent-child and parent-school relationships through education and collaboration.
Families with Teens — Strengthens parent-teen relationships by improving communication and decision-making skills.
Supporting Military Families — Learn about the cycle of deployment and how to better support military families.
Financial Capability — Empowers families to make wise decisions about money and other financial resources.
Disaster Recovery — Assists families who have experienced a disaster and their professionals.