About Family Development
University of Minnesota Extension's Center for Family Development helps families make informed decisions leading to better health and well-being.
Extension Center for Family Development, through its nimbleness, innovation, and relevance, teaches families and those who serve families to make informed decisions leading to greater health, resilience and well-being. As a result of our programs, Minnesota families — no matter their makeup, structure, or place in life — possess the knowledge and skills to create resilient, healthy, and secure futures.
We accomplish our mission by:
- Delivering trustworthy, relevant, and research-based education.
- Working closely with communities and organizations to build the strengths of individuals and families of all types and backgrounds.
- Capitalizing on University research and faculty.
- Building a faculty and staff team.
- Showing key stakeholders the value of our work.
- Securing resources to sustain and grow programs.
A snapshot of what we accomplished in 2014:
|313k||People reached through our website, publications, social networking, and more. That’s enough to fill the Target Center over 16 times!|
|43.7k||People directly participated in our programs and education opportunities.|
|49%||Adult participants representing racially/ethnically diverse populations.|
|6k||Volunteer hours from partner organizations and individuals dedicated to helping Minnesota families.|
|144||Family Development faculty and staff working together to deliver quality education programming to families and practitioners throughout Minnesota.|
|103||Journal articles, evaluation reports, curricula, and other publications that reach thousands of people in Minnesota and nationwide.|
Read the full 2014 Annual Report.
You can help Family Development staff and programs have a greater impact on Minnesota families by giving to one of these funds:
- Qualey-Skjervold Scholarship and Professional Development Fund
- Jean W. Bauer Fund in Family Financial Management
- Cooking Matters® Minnesota
- Sharon Torbenson O'Gorman Fund in Nutrition
- Extension Center for Family Development
Connect with Us
You can get connected to the Extension Center for Family Development by:
- Participating in one of our Family Development Online Courses.
- Joining our listserv for professionals: Family Education Network (FEN).
- Getting involved with our Cooking Matters® MN program by becoming a Volunteer.
- Taking advantage of one of our Internship Opportunities.
- Exploring an available staff position: Employment and Jobs: Family Development.
- Contacting the Family Development Leadership Team.
Applied Research and Evaluation — See more of our applied research and program evaluation projects.
Strengthening Minnesota Families (3.2 MB PDF) — Learn more about our work in this four-page brochure.
Who We Are (322 K PDF) — Download this handout about our promise to Minnesota families and how we accomplish our mission.
2014 Annual Report (1 MB PDF) — See highlights from the Extension Center for Family Development.