About Family Development
We provide support to families and family-serving organizations in times of challenge and opportunity.
What We Do
The Extension Center for Family Development strengthens and empowers Minnesota families by working directly with families and the professionals that serve them. We draw on the knowledge and resources of the University of Minnesota to help families reach their full potential. Given our connections throughout every county in Minnesota, we are uniquely qualified to help deliver organizations’ programs and reach families where they live, work, and play.
How We Do It
We provide a range of educational offerings and services.
- In-person and online educational programs that teach families decision-making skills related to food, nutrition, and health; family finances and resources; and family relationships.
- Research-based and unbiased information on key concerns for families through our materials, website, and phone information line (AnswerLine).
- Engagement in the community through networks and collaborations that work to promote family well-being.
- Disaster response education and resources for families and family-serving organizations that are experiencing “tough times,” whether natural or man-made.
- Training and technical assistance to community-based family professionals and organizations on family issues and delivering our educational programs.
- Research and evaluation on issues affecting families and how our educational programs meet the needs of Minnesota families.
Family Development Research — See more of our applied research and program evaluation projects.
Family Development Online Courses — Find an online course for yourself or the clients you serve today.
Extension Center for Family Development Brochure (3.2 MB PDF) — Learn more about our work.