About Family Development
University of Minnesota Extension's Center for Family Development helps families make informed decisions leading to better health and well being.
What We Do
Our staff strengthens and empowers Minnesota families by working directly with families and the professionals that serve them. We draw on the knowledge and resources of the University of Minnesota to help families reach their full potential. Given our connections throughout every county in Minnesota, we are uniquely qualified to help deliver organizations’ programs and reach families where they live, work, and play.
How We Do It
We accomplish this by:
- Delivering trustworthy, relevant, and research-based education
- Working closely with communities and organizations to build the strengths of individuals and families of all types and backgrounds
- Capitalizing on University research and faculty
- Building a faculty and staff team
- Showing key stakeholders the value of our work
- Securing resources to sustain and grow programs
The Center, through its nimbleness, innovation, and relevance, teaches families and those who serve families to make informed decisions leading to greater health, resilience and well-being. As a result of our programs, Minnesota families — no matter their makeup, structure, or place in life — possess the knowledge and skills to create resilient, healthy, and secure futures.
You can get connected to the Extension Center for Family Development by:
- Joining our listserv for professionals: Family Education Network (FEN).
- Taking advantage of one of the positions listed on our Internship Opportunities web page.
- Get involved with our Cooking Matters® MN program by becoming a Volunteer.
- Exploring an available staff position on the Employment and Jobs web page.
- Contacting the Family Development Leadership Team.
You can help Family Development staff and programs have more impact on Minnesota families by giving to one of these funds:
- Qualey-Skjervold Scholarship and Professional Development Fund
- Cooking Matters® Minnesota
- Sharon Torbenson O'Gorman Fund in Nutrition
- Jean W. Bauer Fund in Family Financial Management
- Extension Center for Family Development
Research and Evaluation — See more of our applied research and program evaluation projects.
Family Development Online Courses — Find an online course for yourself or the clients you serve today.
Extension Center for Family Development Brochure (3.2 MB PDF) — Learn more about our work.
Who We Are (322 K PDF) — Download this handout about our promise to Minnesota families and how we accomplish our mission.
2014 Annual Report (1 MB PDF) — See highlights from the Extension Center for Family Development.