Ice storms, heavy snow, or other extreme winter weather can damage to your trees, shrubs, home and farm buildings. Extension education can help. Extreme cold can endanger people, pets and farm animals.
- Protecting trees and shrubs against winter damage
- Help your woody ornamentals survive the coming winter
- Propane conservation tips for swine producers
- Managing cold stress in cattle
- Feeding and management tips to combat cold stress in nursery calves
Extension phone lines
1-800-854-1678 (MN area codes only)
Mon–Fri, 9 a.m.–noon and 1 p.m.–4 p.m.
Household issues: cleaning and cooking safely
Other recommended resources for winter damage
- Dealing with Winter Weather — eXtension — Personal and family safety, livestock, energy
- 511 Traffic and Road Conditions — Dial 511 — Minnesota Department of Transportation — Weather, construction, delays and more, online or by phone at 5-1-1.
- Minnesota Duty Officer Program — 800-422-0798 (Greater Minnesota only) or 651-649-5451 (Twin Cities Metro Area) — Homeland Security and Emergency Management — Assistance and additional resources for a wide range of emergency situations, including reporting hazardous spills.
- Severe Weather Awareness — Minnesota Department of Public Safety: Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management — Subscribe to email announcements and updates.
- Emergency Preparedness, Response and Recovery — Minnesota Department of Health — Individual and family preparedness, emergency communications, legal issues and more.
- DisasterAssistance.gov — Collaboration of U.S. Government agencies — Use this questionnaire to determine if you qualify for assistance. Additional information on how to get help from the U.S. Government before, during and after a disaster.
- The Disaster Handbook: Winter Storms Chapter — University of Wisconsin Extension (PDF) — Safety at home and while traveling during winter storms.
- Winter Safety and Awareness — NOAA National Weather Service — Resources for snow, ice, cold, strong winds and wind chill.
- A Preparedness Guide (PDF) — American Red Cross - Be prepared and stay informed with these winter weather tips.