Recover from the effects of the storms. Safely clean up your home. Take care of your family and finances and assure safe food and water. Assess farm damage and options. Care for your yard and garden.
Clean-up and hazards, including water, moisture, and resulting mold and mildew
Helping children, supporting adults and dealing with stress and grief
Advice on safety, livestock and crops
Help with your personal family finances after a disaster and also for professionals helping families.
Safe food handling after power outages; well water safety
Tree care and other damage to your yard and garden
Extension phone lines
1-800-854-1678 (MN area codes only)
Mon–Fri, 9 a.m. – noon and 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
For questions about cleaning, stains, mildew and food safety issues. Provides referrals for financial advice.
University of Minnesota, Minnesota State Climatology Office, Department of Natural Resources — The most up-to-date information on Minnesota weather conditions.
Other recommended resources
- Extension Disaster Education Network (EDEN) — A collaborative multi-state effort by Extension Services across the country to improve the delivery of services to citizens affected by disasters.
- 511 Traffic and Road Conditions — Dial 511 — Minnesota Department of Transportation — Weather, construction, delays and more, online or by phone at 5-1-1.
- Minnesota Duty Officer Program (56 K PDF) — 800-422-0798 (Greater Minnesota only) or 651-649-5451 (Twin Cities Metro Area) — Homeland Security and Emergency Management — Assistance and additional resources for a wide range of emergency situations, including reporting hazardous spills.
- Emergency & Community Health Outreach (ECHO) — Severe weather warnings — Minnesota/North Dakota tornado resources in several languages common in Minnesota, 1-888-883-8831
- Severe Weather Awareness — Minnesota Department of Public Safety: Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management — Subscribe to email announcements and updates. Tornado safety information
- Emergency Preparedness, Response and Recovery — Minnesota Department of Health —Individual and family preparedness, emergency communications, legal issues and more.
- Tornado information — Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) — What do know and do before, during and after a tornado.
- DisasterAssistance.gov — Collaboration of U.S. Government agencies — Use this questionnaire to determine if you qualify for assistance. Additional information on how to get help from the U.S. Government before, during and after a disaster.