Driven to Discover curriculum
On this page
About this curriculum
The Driven to Discover curriculum is a step-by-step guide for implementing this full-scale program in your setting. With activity instructions for teachers and/or adult leaders and companion materials for youth, these resources coach you through the process of using citizen science experiences as a springboard into full science investigations.
All versions of the curricula contain:
- Lesson plans for developing the necessary science skills for studying the subject of the chosen citizen science program.
- Instructions for collecting and submitting data for the respective citizen science project.
- Step-by-step guidance for planning and implementing science investigations with helpful background information on the process of science.
Curriculum designed for school settings also contains:
- Lesson plans to strengthen student's data literacy skills
- Lesson plan exploring "Science Behind the Scenes" through adaptive primary scientific literature
- Assessment recommendations
- Exercises to support constructing scientific explanations using evidence, claims and reasoning.
- NOTE: We offer four versions of this resource, one each for citizen science projects about pollinators, phenology, birds, and dragonflies.
Curriculum designed for youth programs and nature centers/museum settings also contains:
- Loads of additional resources for nonformal settings (nature centers, museums, etc.), such as tips adult leaders can use to foster positive learning environments, how to prompt scientific thinking, advice on how to start a Driven to Discover club in your area, and much more!
- The Investigator’s Field Journals, a cross between a workbook and a lab manual, with youth-appropriate reflection exercises and worksheets for implementing citizen science and investigations. We recommend providing one copy for each youth participant.
- NOTE: We offer two versions of both of these resources. One set includes details on implementing the Monarch Larva Monitoring Project; the other set includes details on implementing the eBird citizen science project. All contain resources on the process of science and engaging youth effectively.
Curriculum for youth programs
Facilitator’s Guide to Citizen Science: Birds (7.9 M PDF)
Investigator’s Field Journal: Birds (5.1 M PDF)
Facilitator’s Guide to Citizen Science: Monarchs (14.1 M PDF)
Investigator’s Field Journal: Monarchs (13.3 M PDF)
Curriculum for schools
Get the curriculum
We’ll ask for some general information about you so we can check with you later to see if the material has been useful. We won’t share your contact information!Get the curriculum