Retail Trade Analysis
On this page
What is Retail Trade Analysis?
Retail Trade Analysis is an important tool for strengthening your local marketplace. This program will:
- Provide accurate local sales data.
- Help your community plan for business expansions or recruitment.
- Compare your community sales data to others.
- Help you assess strengths and opportunities for your local businesses.
How does the community benefit?Analysis leads to understanding.
How healthy are retail sales in your community? A Retail Trade Analysis quickly provides a historical report that helps you:
- Know your community’s actual retail sales potential.
- Learn which retailers are attracting shoppers to your town.
- Learn what your community’s retail opportunities are.
- Find out which businesses are drawing shoppers away from your town.
- Understand your town’s pull factor — what it means, and why it matters!
How can communities use Retail Trade Analysis?Analysis leads to retail opportunity.
Your community can use this Retail Trade Analysis to:
- Jump start a retail trade improvement plan.
- Update your existing retail plan.
- Help local businesses.
- Attract new businesses.
- Survive the big box retailers.
An important business development tool, Retail Trade Analysis is affordable and available to Minnesota communities through Extension.
What will you receive?Each community that purchases Retail Trade Analysis will receive a printed report for their city and county, a digital presentation file, and a PDF file from which to make additional copies of the report.
Each individualized report will:
- Define the pull factors available to your community;
- Describe your community’s current local retail market;
- Evaluate your retail trends;
- Show how your community retail sales compare to others; and
- Evaluate how your actual sales compare to your sales potential.