Watch Perspectives on Leadership
Vice-President Hubert Humphrey once said, “You don’t have to save the whole world, just save your hometown. It’ll add up.” Extension celebrates the everyday leaders who make a difference – whether they work on very local issues or make their town proud by providing leadership at the county, regional, state or even national level. Leadership comes from everywhere, and we are eager to work with people who provide community leadership in Minnesota.
Leadership education is worth the effort because studies have documented a connection between successful communities and strong leadership. Successful communities are good at:
- Building and transitioning leadership over time;
- Supporting a diverse group of individuals to fill leadership roles – individuals such as women, young people, and new community residents;
- Providing opportunities for new leaders, emerging leaders, midcareer leaders, and retiring leaders to learn and contribute;
- Using the assets of local people to create a better community; and
- Focusing on leadership for the whole community, as well as leadership for groups and issues in communities.
Contact us to talk about bringing leadership education to your community or group.
- Think about leadership in your community.
- Sponsors for Leadership Education programs make a difference. Find out who is sponsoring Extension programs.
- The Leadership and Civic Engagement Alumni Site: Resources for leaders to connect and learn.
- Like us on Facebook
- Learn about Extension's Leadership and Civic Engagement programs.
Our Leadership and Civic Engagement educators deliver research-informed education in long-term cohort programs where participants can learn, connect with others, and practice skills. Our goal is to help emerging and existing leaders meet their challenges using information and connections to people and resources.
Red River Valley Emerging Leaders program creates and sustains a network of community leaders. More
University of Minnesota Extension helps communities fill a leadership gap More
More than 2,000 people have participated in our leadership education programs. Extension is committed to the continued support of these program alumni and the difference leaders make in communities. View our Leadership and Civic Engagement alumni site.
Program sponsors partner with Extension to bring leadership education to Minnesota. More
Extension studies the effectiveness of its leadership education program every year. More
View stories of leadership program alumni.
- Exploring the impact of charismatic leaders in communities — An instructional case study
- How to engage the public successfully