Cover Crop and Soil Health Learning Tour
2017 Date and location
- Date & time: Friday, September 8, 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (rain or shine)
Registration open 8:30 - 9:00 a.m.; Program begins at 9:00 a.m.
- Location: Brunk Farm, 23068 220th Street, Rushmore, MN (map)
- Program cost: Registration fee of $20 includes lunch. See instructions below.
Crop producers and others interested in cover crops and soil health will have the opportunity to learn about the latest research involving cover crops, and hear from farmers and others currently working with cover crops, reduced tillage, and soil health. Highlights include the following:
- Explore the impacts of cover crops, reduced tillage and diversified cropping systems on soil health.
- Learn about weed control and nutrient management considerations when interseeding cover crops into corn and soybeans.
- Interact with researchers, farmers, and educators that are currently working with cover crops.
- Tour includes demonstrations, hands-on activities, a farmer panel, equipment demonstrations and more!
Learning tour program
|8:30 – 9:00 a.m.||Registration|
|9:00 – 9:15 a.m.||Welcome|
|9:15 – 11:15 a.m.||Tour stops – Set One|
Jodi DeJong-Hughes, University of Minnesota Extension
|2||Cover crop research update
Dr. M. Scott Wells and Dan Raskin, University of Minnesota
|3||Herbicide impacts on cover crops demonstration, and Weed management considerations
Dr. Gregg Johnson and Liz Stahl, University of Minnesota
|4||Manure application in cover crops and implications on nitrogen management
Randy Pepin, University of Minnesota Extension
|11:15 a.m. – 12:20 p.m.||Tour stops – Set Two|
|1||Rainfall simulator and soil health demonstrations and assessment
Jennifer Hahn, Pheasants Forever, Brian Christianson, USDA-NRCS, and John Shea, Nobles County SWCD
|2||Cover crop impacts on nutrient management
Shannon Osborne, USDA-ARS, Brookings, SD
|12:20 – 1:00 p.m.||LUNCH
|1:00 – 1:45 p.m.||Graduate student presentations:
Learn about cutting edge research in cover crops, relay cropping, and continuous living cover
|1:45 – 2:15 p.m.||Farmer Panel
Host Bruce Brunk, Rushmore; Bryan Biegler, Lake Wilson; and Mike Erbes, Tracy, MN
|2:15 – 3:00 p.m.||Strip tillage and interseeding equipment demonstrations
Register for the
- Send payment by mail
Enclose a check for $20 payable to University of Minnesota and mail (postmarked by September 1) to
U of MN Extension Regional Office - Worthington
1527 Prairie Drive
Worthington, MN 56187
- Or pay at the door
For more information, contact Liz Stahl (email@example.com).
This program is supported in part from a Conservation Innovation Grant from the USDA-Natural Resource Conservation Service and funding from MN North Central Region-Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education.