Growth and development
Growth and development
- Normal field corn development stages in August for Minnesota
Typical corn development stages described by age in days and physical characteristics of the kernel and cob. 2012.
Weather and crop damage
Field Guide for Evaluating Corn Damage and Replant DecisionsA guide to help growers evaluate damage due to factors like hail, insect feeding, and flooding, and make the decision whether or not replanting is necessary. Download the guide (47.7 KB PDF).
- Dry conditions during corn pollination in Minnesota, Dry conditions could affect the success of pollination, but ultimately kernel loss will depend on current soil moisture levels and future rainfall. Crop News, 2012.
- Considerations for flooded corn and soybean, Excess water affects thousands of crop acres each year, typically in small, low-lying areas of fields that drown out frequently. Crop News, 2008.
- Spring frost damage, Early corn emergence dates increase the risk of spring frost damage, especially in low-lying areas in the northern part of Minnesota. Crop News, 2010.
- Corn stand evaluation, Frost damage will make corn stand evaluation more difficult, but most fields are expected to recover from the frost well. Crop News, 2010.
- Assessing hail damage in corn and soybeans, Assessing hail damage and making replant decisions can be difficult, with many variables to consider on your way to making a final decision. Crop News, 2012.
- Hail damaged corn and soybean, Survivability estimates for hail damaged corn and soybean plants, as well as online guides for evaluating damage and making replant decisions. Crop News, 2009.
- Wind and hail damage to pollinating corn, Types of damage observed in wind and hail affected corn plants, along with root lodging and stalk breakage from high winds. Crop News, 2008.
- Yield and harvest consideration for frost-damaged corn, Information regarding the symptoms of frost damaged corn, and its effect on yield, quality, and moisture. Crop News, 2011.
- Maturity, frost and harvest moisture considerations for corn, When corn reaches maturity later than usual, there is a decent chance that those plants will receive a frost before reaching maturity. Crop News, 2008.