About the Program
The nursery and greenhouse industry comprises the fastest growing segment of U.S. agriculture.
Horticultural products, which include floral, nursery, vegetable crops, and turf grass sod rank among the top commodity groups in America. From an economic perspective, a substantial percentage of personal disposable income is spent on produce, nursery, and floral crops.
The nursery industry, which has annual sales of $11 billion, looks to Extension’s Nursery and Plant Health Program for research-based information to keep their plants and trees healthy as well as to improve nursery management practices and profitability
The TRE Nursery at the University is at the heart of this program, with outreach activities including field days, and articles & publications useful to the landscape and nursery industries.
- Employees and owners of garden centers and nurseries
- Landscape care companies
- Landscape designers
- Gardeners and consumers of gardening products
- Improve propagation methods of difficult to root plants
- Improve efficiency of fertilizer, chemicals, and watering methods
- Enhance profitability, efficiency and sustainability of nurseries
- Deliver research-based information to gardeners and consumers of gardening products.