Extension > Garden > Diagnose a problem > Is this plant a weed? > Grass > Tall Fescue
Festuca arundinacea Schreb.
- - CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE -
- Perennial grass that grows best during cooler temperatures (spring, fall)
- Tough, coarse-textured, dark green, clump-forming grass
- Leaf blades are flat and stiff
- Leaf veins are prominent on upper leaf surface
- Flower spikelets are loose and open
- Roots are fibrous; no underground stems (rhizomes) produced
- Endophyte-free fescue can be a beneficial pasture species
- Less tolerant of mowing heights under 1 1/2”
- Good drought tolerance due to larger, deeper root system
Plants that look similar:
Did this tool help you identify the weed? Tell us.