Extension > Garden > Diagnose a problem > Is this plant a weed? > Broadleaf Weeds > Upright > Creeping Bellflower
Campanula rapunculoides L.
- - CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE -
- Perennial plant that grows in sun or shade and prefers moist sites
- Heart shaped lower (basal) leaves; leaves on flower stalk are more narrow
- Multiple flowering stems grow to a height of 2-3 feet
- Nodding, bell-shaped, blue-lavender flowers arise mostly along one side of flower stalk
- Flowers occur along the entire length of the flower stalk
- Blooms July to Oct.
- Extensive root system with large, tuber-like storage roots; roots will regrow from root pieces
- Tolerates mowing although will not flower in mowed lawn situations
- Minnesota Invasive Weed that spreads aggressively via seeds and roots
- Resistant to the herbicide 2,4-D
Plants that look similar:
Did this tool help you identify the weed? Tell us.