Extension > Garden > Diagnose a problem > Is this plant a weed? > Broadleaf Weeds > Creeping > Heal-all
Prunella vulgaris L.
- - CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE -
- Low growing perennial
- Plant remains green year round and is aromatic minty when crushed
- Stems are square, hairy when young, smooth with age
- Above ground stems (stolons) root at the stem nodes (joints)
- Long, straight leaves with rounded tip arise in pairs (opposite one another) along stem
- Purple, tube-like flower clusters occur at the end of the stem; blooms June to Sept.
- Fibrous root system along with short, slender, underground stems (rhizomes)
- Tolerates low mowing height; can be fairly aggressive in moist, shaded areas; will outcompete lawn grasses growing in these areas
Plants that look similar:
Did this tool help you identify the weed? Tell us.