Extension > Garden > Diagnose a problem > Is this plant a weed? > Broadleaf Weeds > Basal > broadleaf Plantain
Plantago major L.
- - CLICK PHOTOS TO ENLARGE -
- Lawns and landscape beds
- Thrives in nutrient rich soil (top soil, compost)
- Low growing perennial
- Leaves are broadly oval but narrowing sharply toward the base
- Leaf veins radiate outwardly from the base of the leaf and appear to be almost parallel
- Greenish flower spikes are 6-12” tall and grow from the center of the plant; they are not readily noticeable
- Tap root with many fibrous roots; gives the impression of a fibrous rooted plant
- Tolerates and survives normal lawn mowing conditions
- Tolerates compacted soil and both wet and dry sites
Plants that look similar:
Did this tool help you identify the weed? Tell us.