Onion> Bulb > Holes or cracks in bulb
1 of 3
- Holes in onion bulbs are present
- Onions yellow and wilt, sometimes rapidly
- Maggots may be present; they are carrot-shaped, legless, and cream colored
- More information on Onion Maggot ...
2 of 3
Agriotus spp., Melanotus spp.
- Tunneling and holes in roots
- Leaves show no damage
- Larvae are thin, shiny, jointed, yellow to reddish-brown color, and approximately ¼ - 1 ½ inch long
- More common in gardens that were previously in grass or sod
- Larvae can be found throughout the growing season
- More information on Wireworms ...
3 of 3
Stem and bulb nematode
- Outer layer of bulb is split or has cracks
- In severe infestations, plant may wilt and die
- Leaves are twisted and stunted
- Bulbs are often desiccated and light weight, secondary rot organisms like soft rot may invade and rot the bulb
- More information on Stem and Bulb Nematode ...