Spruce > Shoots/branch tips> Wilted shoots
1 of 2
- New shoots fall over and wilt after a spring frost
- Older branches remain green and healthy
- Dead shoots may remain attached all summer, new may shoots grow next to them
- More information on Frost injury...
2 of 2
White pine weevil
- Terminal leader dead or dying, curled into a shepherd’s crook
- Branches in whorls near the top may also wilt and die
- Repeated attacks can leaves trees looking bushy
- Drops of pitch can be seen on terminal shoots in spring
- Larvae are whitish, legless and up to 2/5 inch long
- Adults are 1/4 inch long, brown body with patches of white and orangish brown scales
- More information on White pine weevil...