Hackberry > Branches/Trunk > Growths/bumps on trunk/branches
1 of 2
- Colorful patches on the bark of trunk and/or branches
- Can be wrinkled, in scalloped sheets, lace-like pads, bushy tufts, paint-like spots or splashes
- Forms can be flat against the bark surface or raised in leaf-like lobes, finger-like or hairy projections
- Colors may be shades of gray, green, blue, yellow, orange, or red
- More information on Lichens...
2 of 2
Cottony maple scale
- White marshmallow egg-sacs along the twigs and small branches
- Young insects remove sap from leaves creating a speckled appearance and possibly yellowing leaves in mid to late summer
- Honeydew, a sticky, shiny material, on leaves and branches
- Sooty mold may result from honeydew
- Heavy infestations cause premature leaf drop and branch dieback
- Nymphs are brown-translucent, 1/5 inch long
- More information on Cottony maple scale...