Partnering for school success take and teach lessons
These take and teach lessons help volunteers or professional educators facilitate discussions and activities with parents on how to better support their children's education. Facilitators may present one or all of the nine lessons, which cover setting expectations, providing structure, modeling a respect for learning, and more. Each one-hour lesson is based on University of Minnesota Extension’s Parenting for school success: A guide for parents booklet, the companion resource.
To help you select topics that meet parents' needs, we offer two tools: a survey and survey “topic map.” The tools and lessons are available in English and Spanish.
Download and Print
- Survey — Ask these survey questions to assess class participants’ needs and determine topics for future discussions. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
- Survey Topic Map — Use this tool to match survey respondents’ needs and specific lessons to address them. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
- Lesson 1: Parents make a difference — Introduce parents to the six factors important to helping children learn: Expectations, Structure, Learning, Support, Relationships, and Modeling. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
- Lesson 2: Expectations (PDF) — Help parents understand how setting clear and reasonable expectations helps their children learn and succeed in school. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
- Lesson 3: Structure — Give an overview of the how structure and routine can help parents support their children’s education. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
- Lesson 4: Support — Explore with parents how establishing structure and routine at home promotes children's learning and school success. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
- Lesson 5: Relationships (PDF) — Describe ways parents can develop positive and healthy relationships with their children in order to help them learn and succeed in school. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
- Lesson 6: Modeling (PDF) — Give parents an understanding of how modeling good behavior contributes to their children's success in school and in life. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
- Lesson 7: Support (Planning for the future) (PDF) — Discuss the importance of graduating from high school and continuing education after high school; also identifies strategies for paying for college and other types of post-secondary education. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
- Lesson 8: Structure (Importance of family mealtime) (PDF) — Provide information about the integral role family mealtime plays in establishing structure at home — structure that supports children's learning and success in school. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
- Lesson 9: Learning (Learning at home over summer) (PDF) — Describe ways parents can support their children's education at home over the summer. English (PDF) | español (PDF)
Parenting for school success: A guide for parents — Access this handbook which gives parents practical ideas on supporting school success.
Inventory for creating school-family connections — Use this inventory to look at the conditions that enhance productive school-family relationships: approach, attitude, atmosphere, and actions.