About Personal Finance
The Personal Finance website is a joint effort of the Family Resource Management team at the Extension Center for Family Development. We created this website with the hopes of creating a "one stop shop" for families, educators, and other family-serving professionals.
We use the term "personal finance" broadly to mean the financial resources that individuals and families use throughout their lives. Resources found throughout this website will help you (or the families you serve) to:
- Better manage the flow of money moving in and out of a household.
- Make wise decisions that will help reach personal goals and lead to a more secure financial future.
- Understand what it takes to be a good renter and secure housing that best meets family needs.
- Appreciate the interaction between culture and resources. Where (and how) one grew up does affect their views on money, education, housing, communication, and financial systems amongst everything else!
- Give time-sensitive tips for resource-related situations like talking to children about money, dealing with suddenly reduced income, distributing property of a loved one, dealing with the aftermath of a disaster, or deciding whether or not to take out the next loan.
In creating this website, we combined the following websites that we previously operated:
- Resource Management for Daily Life
- Dollar Works
- Financial Security in Later Life
- Who Gets Grandma's Yellow Pie Plate?™
- Take the Road to Financial Security
- Long Term Care: A Resource Center for Families
- Latino and East African Financial Literacy
Besides the Personal Finance website, our team continues to maintain the Youth and Money website which is also linked off the Personal Finance site.
Family Resource Management is a varied team of well-educated and experienced educators located through the state of Minnesota. As part of the Extension Center for Family Development, we are not here to "sell" products or trainings. We are committed to bringing research and knowledge of the University of Minnesota (and beyond) to the people of Minnesota. We provide unbiased, trustworthy education and resources to families so that they can make more informed financial decisions and better meet their own personal needs and goals today and in the future.
Contact Us to learn more.
Learn more about the Benefits of Workplace Comprehensive Financial Education.